Actions speak louder than words.  We must be willing to act and do what we say we will.  Now is the time to make a positive change on society.  Fannie Lou Hamer, a former sharecropper, said it best.  She said:  “You can pray until you faint, but unless you get up and try to do something.  God is not going to put it in your lap.”  Regardless of your financial situation, you have more power than you think.  All it takes is one person to make a change that can affect the trajectory of the future of your family and community.  Citizens usually vote once every 4 years, however, we vote every day with our dollar and that is a powerful thing.  We must use that power to support companies and businesses that support us and create our own businesses to empower our communities.

Today there is an opportunity for us to make our own way for a better future.  Success can be determined by your ability to bring a product or service to the marketplace in a different way.  You may have to start with a business you currently have the assets and time available to you now.  It may not be your dream business but it can serve as a business to raise the funds needed for your future business.

There is a difference between being broke and being poor.  Being broke is a temporary economic condition, while being poor is a depressed condition of the spirit. It is the mindset of being a consumer instead of being a producer of ideas.  According to 2014 US Census data, the highest poverty rate by race is found among African Americans at 26% and Hispanics 24%.  The potent issues are gentrification, the rising costs of healthcare, food, safety and affordable housing. These issues should not be looked at as huge challenges but as great opportunities.

The average American family spends $18,000 per year on goods and services.  That is power.  Who says you have to support businesses that don’t believe in social justice, the environment or human rights?  Many call for boycotts of companies that don’t pay a livable wage, pollute our communities and are not involved in the community.  Instead, let’s support and create our own businesses that do bring value to the lives of all stake holders.  These businesses create opportunities for their customers and workers to make a better tomorrow.

President Obama ran with the slogan of “Hope and Change”.  Hope is a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen and it is very important.  We can hope all we want that things will change.  However without action, things will never change.  It is now time for action.  What are you going to do about it?  I have created a sustainable community based initiative to promote action.  #WordsActionChange Please feel free to contact me thomsustainableconsulting@gmail.com.  Or you can follow me on Twitter @tcsheff.  I have also created a new face book page WordsactionChange Initiative. Please share and follow.

Facebook Comments