Although we may think that our teeth are in good shape because they look good when we look in the mirror, regular visits to your family dentist are still very important. Regular checkups and professional cleanings can help save your teeth, your health, and can also save you time and money.
Dental Checkups in Children
Taking children to the dentist at an early age is good for several reasons:
• Can show the child as well as the parent the correct way to brush and floss.
• Can discuss limiting the amount of sugars and junk foods in their diets.
• X-rays are recommended to help detect cavities.
• Can check for missing teeth, chipped teeth, crowded teeth, and crooked teeth.
• Can check to see if braces may be needed.
Dental Checkups in Adults
• An examination of the head and neck area along with oral cancer screening will be done.
• X-rays are taken to help diagnose areas of hidden decay and any pathology that may be associated with the teeth and or jaws.
• Will check for cavities, missing teeth, broken teeth, and for tartar and plaque buildup.
It is important to remember that a Healthy Smile is a Beautiful Smile, so gum disease and tooth decay must be controlled and caught early. The importance of dental checkups twice a year for children and adults is how the dentist can detect potential problems. I hope this Tooth Talk has helped to answer questions about the importance of a Dental Checkup. If you have additional questions, please feel free to email or call my office, Integrity Dental Care, PLLC (615) 445-8700 or email email@example.com with any questions you may have.