EAST NASHVILLE — On a hot night in Nashville, the Middle Tennessee Bulldawgs (6-0) stayed red hot, defeating the defending Mid-South Football Alliance champions the Daviess County Spartans (6-1) 51-2 this past Saturday at Stratford High School.
With the heat index hovering around 100 degrees, the Bulldawgs used a no huddle offense to gas the visiting Spartans. The first score came on a pass from quarterback Cass Barnes (11 of 21 221 yards and three touchdowns) to running back Keon Bohannon. The Bulldawgs went for two and it was intercepted by a Spartan defender who took it back all the way for the Spartans’ only score. The Bulldawgs then scored the game’s final 49 points to get the win.
“Our last two games were against the top teams in the league,” said Bulldawgs head coach Blaine Boone.” We played a complete game both times and outscored both teams 81-2. Our offensive line played well today. We started slow in the first quarter but played great after that. I was pleased with how we played in all phases.”
The defense once again showed why they are being touted as the number one defense in the country. After a second Barnes touchdown pass, going to Sanchez Holder this time, safety Twin Johnson intercepted a Spartan pass and ran it to paydirt to make the halftime score 19-2. The score was Johnson’s third of the season. He also had two during the spring.
The third quarter was much the same. The Bulldawgs scored on three times to take a 39-2 lead. The first was on a fourth down pass from Barnes to tight end Billy Bailey. Defensive back Chris Perkins followed Johnson’s suit and intercepted a Spartan pass for a touchdown. Bohannon then scored on a highlight reel run.
The Bulldawgs added two more scores to close out the game. Zach Ducker took over for Barnes at quarterback and scored on a one-yard run. The score was set up by a Ducker to Arc McMurray 57-yard pass. Then Ducker hit rookie wideout Vince Escobedo on a 47-yard pass.
The win gave the Bulldawgs sole possession on the top seed in the MSFA. They will now take on their crosstown rivals the Tennessee Rampage on Saturday, 6pm at Whites Creek High School.
• Quarterback Cass Barnes has thrown for seven touchdowns in his past two games from coming off an injury.
• In six games this summer, the Bulldawgs have 22 interceptions and seven taken back for touchdowns.
• The offensive line was named the Clubhouse Player of the Game this week.
• The August 12th game versus the Clarksville Wolfpack will be played at Portland High School. All proceeds will go to the Portland High School Quarterback Club.
• Bulldawg players and personnel will be at Family Dollar on Whites Creek Pike to sign autographs from 8am-10am. Family Dollar will be having their grand re-opening.