You’ve heard it a thousand times, but it’s essential that we remind you again: Brush, Brush, Brush and Floss!
• Use the 2 Minute Rule: Brush your teeth for at least two minutes, twice a day. Brushing removes the plaque, which builds up on the surfaces of your teeth. When you don’t remove the plaque, it can lead to gingivitis. Brushing for the proper amount of time allows the fluoride to stay on the teeth to help fight germs.
• Consistently Change Toothbrushes: The average lifespan for a toothbrush is around 3 months. After 3 months, the bristles weaken and bacteria builds on the brush.
• Apply Proper Brushing Technique: Remember to brush your teeth in circular motions. Do not scrub your teeth from right to left like you are scrubbing the floor. Scrubbing motion can cause bleeding and gum damage.
• Use Dental Floss: Floss at least once a day. Flossing gets in between the teeth where a toothbrush can’t reach.
• Clean Your Tongue: Either use a toothbrush or tongue scraper to remove bacteria from the tongue. This will help to keep breath fresh and the mouth healthy.
You don’t need perfect teeth to have a healthy smile. With these tips along with regular visits to the dentist, you can easily have a beautiful, healthy smile. The more you smile the better you feel! I hope this Tooth Talk has helped to give you the tools needed for a healthy smile.
If you have questions call or email me at Integrity Dental Care, PLLC (615) 445-8700 or email [email protected] with any questions you may have.