Your smile is one of the first things that people notice about you. If your smile isn’t as bright as you would like, it may have a lot to do with the things you put into your mouth rather than your teeth just darkening from your age.
What Causes Tooth Stains
• Tannins- plant based compounds that make it easier for stains to stick to teeth, found in Tea.
• Chromogens- compounds with strong pigments that cling to the outer layer of teeth known as enamel, found in Coffee.
• Acids- they make tooth enamel softer and rough which make it easier for stains to set in, found in Sodas.
4 Daily Habits that Can
1. Coffee, Tea, and Red Wine are known for staining your teeth. These drinks can build up a superficial stain that can be polished off by your dentist but sometimes they can cause internal staining of your tooth enamel.
2. Sodas are very acidic and may cause your teeth to have a dark yellow stain over time.
3. Blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries all are high in chromogens which causes stains.
4. Smoking causes staining to your teeth that can soak deep into the enamel. Smoking also damages healthy gums, causing them to recede.
Now knowing what to avoid and visiting your dentist for a professional cleaning can help keep your teeth pearly white. A good rule of thumb to remember is: if it will stain your clothes most likely it will do the same to your teeth.
If you have questions call or email me at Integrity Dental Care, PLLC (615) 445-8700 or email [email protected] with any questions you may have.